Monday, June 26, 2006

LIE #1--God will give me a husband because I asked Him for one.

Remember, He hears our prayers and answers them according to His will. He knows better than us what we need. Over the years, I have heard many single women say, "God will give me a husband, because I desire one", often reciting the following: "Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart" (Psalm 37:4, NASB).

I spent 35 years as a single person. In the 10 years I spent asking the Lord if marriage fit in His plan for me, I learned to delight myself in Him. What I learned is that the very desires I had came as a result of that delight. In other words, when I learned to delight myself in Him, His desires became my desires. You see, it cannot be the other way around. We often selfishly declare to Him, "I want this or that, and Your word says that if I delight myself in You, you'll give it to me." But, surprise! It's the other way around. We don't choose our desires first, and then delight ourselves in Him to receive them. When God, Himself, is our delight, we want nothing more than what He gives us in the moment.

I cannot tell you that I have carefully researched every verse in the Bible on prayer, although I would like to say that I have. I can tell you, though, that many of us take quite a casual approach to God's sovereignty and purpose for us and then quote things like, "If I ask Him, He'll give it to me!" I remember when I had about 17 years old and a friend of mine invited me to go to the beach with her family for a week. Oh how I wanted to go! My parents often let me go places with my friends, so imagine my surprise when my mother said, "No." I whined, I'm sure. I probably cried. But, years later, the things I didn't know about my friend's family became public knowledge, and I understood why my mother said no. She knew more than I did, and she knew that by not allowing me to go she protected me from potential harm. God knows what we need and when we need it.

Instead of struggling each day wondering why God hasn't given you what you asked Him for, why not try simply enjoying your relationship with Him? I guarantee you that as you delight yourself--honestly--in Him, His desires will become yours and before you know it, your eyes will truly turn towards Jesus.

If your husband is in His plans, He'll provide Him when the time is right. If He has another purpose for you, it will be perfect and as long as you adore Him, you will be fine.

Lie number two--later this week!

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

the bolg was quite a blessing.. reassuring!!

3:16 AM  
Blogger KristenHoward said...

Thanks for this blog post, it made me feel a lot better : )

10:47 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Read this at just the right time. Thank you.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Read this at just the right time. Thanks for the new perspective.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this precious gold you have given me to think upon - and eventually act upon.

I've bookmarked this page because it gives me an important lesson on delighting myself in Him.

God bless xo

3:23 AM  
Blogger anu said...

the blog was a nice reassurance...thankyou

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home