Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The List of Lies

You think the time has come. You just turned 23...25...or, gasp, 30...and that spot you have saved for a diamond ring still remains available. You cry, "Oh, Lord, I cannot wait anymore! The marriage bells have rung for most of my friends and I still sit here alone! Send me a husband--any husband!" Perhaps the thoughts that crowd your mind more than anything center around all of those things you have accomplished and the years of preparation you have invested in order to become the perfect wife. Maybe that list you made has check marks all over it, and you simply know that your time has come! Your question remains the same: "Why am I still single?"

My dear friends, before you read any further, I suggest you take out your Bible and read Psalm 139. Then, return to the computer and at least give an audience to what you find written here. Of course, you must come to your own conclusions. Above all, you must honestly allow the Lord to search your heart and show you where your hope lies.

The following list contains some of the lies that circulate concerning singleness and marriage. For today, just look over the list. Check back every few days to see the list explained, number by number. Please read the list with an open mind and take time to see if these lies circulate in your own heart. Finally, please save your immediate thoughts (i.e., angry reactions) until you have seen the explanation.

As promised (but in no particular order)...

THE LIST OF LIES WE TELL OURSELVES

1. God will give me a husband because I asked Him for one.

2. I need to reach a certain level of spiritual maturity before God sends me a husband.

3. I cannot truly use my gifts and talents as a woman until I am married.

4. I will never find fulfillment as a single woman.

5. I cannot express my "maternal instincts" if I do not marry.

6. My loneliness will disappear once I am married.

7. I am content in the Lord, so now He'll send me a husband!

8. He fits my "perfect man list" perfectly--he must be "the one!"

9. If I don't find him soon, I will have to sacrifice some of my deepest convictions about marriage in order to find him.

10. I need to flirt and go out with more men--that way I'll surely find the one God has planned for me!

Check back soon for a breakdown of the list...starting with number one!

1 Comments:

Blogger Brandy said...

I just need to tell you how much I love the idea of this blog...and it's coming at the perfect time for me (and probably a lot of other people).

Love ya Greta!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home